27.7.07

Seattle Skyline from Kerry Park

See that? See that ginormous thing rising in the background of the Seattle skyline? THAT my friends, is what I will be climbing up just a month from now. And so, if your question is "do you need crampons?", the answer is "you bet your bottoms I do."

I'm excited, though a little nervous. We just had our conference call the other day. The good news? The scree (loose rock) at Dissapointment Cleaver is covered in snowpack, which means less chance of having to navigate falling rocks from above, or having to walk on them with crampons. The bad news? At this time of year crevasses open up which require ladders over them. Yes, I will be crossing a crevasse, measuring possibly hundreds of feet deep, on a horizontally-placed aluminum ladder. Luckily they put 2x4s over the rungs so its easier to cross with crampons.

And just by the way, this picture TOTALLY makes me want to move to Seattle.

No comments: