5.9.07

Top of the world?


IMG_1505.JPG
Originally uploaded by Faux pas
Well, not really, but top of the 21st tallest mountain in the world (by prominance)*? Yes. Top of the most difficult endurance climb in the lower 48 states? Yes, again. It was by far the hardest thing both physically and psychologically I've ever done in my life, but I'm so glad I did it, and when I stop being so sore, maybe I'll have developed the bug that will require me to purchase an entirely new set of different gear and get my butt up some more mountains. I'm thinking Anconcagua next. Anyone up for joining me?

More details to come...
*"Prominance" is the elevation of a summit relative to the highest point to which one must descend before reascending to a higher summit. While the size of mountains has generally been judged simply by their height above sea level, many mountaineers are now measuring the size of mountains by their elevation relative to the surrounding terrain. This also factors into the difficulty level of climbing a certain mountain, because of the amount of actual elevation gain involved.

2 comments:

The Bibler's said...

WOO HOO!!!! A HUGE congrats to you, Jessica! We knew you'd get to that mountain top with a smile! We can't wait to hear more about it on Saturday!

Sue said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Hope to see you this weekend :)