29.8.07

It's time!


Mountain through the clouds
Originally uploaded by eyduck
I fly out tomorrow morning at 7 a.m., and arrive in Seattle at 9:30. Sue comes in around 10:00, and then we wait for another climber, Nancy to arrive around noon. We then drive to Ashford, WA, where we'll be staying at Whittaker's Bunkhouse. Peter Whittaker is also the owner of RMI, the guiding service that we'll be using for the climb.

Friday is a day of climbing school, where we'll learn to walk roped up without tripping over ourselves in our crampons. We'll also learn the art of the ice axe rescue. Saturday we climb to Camp Muir at about 10,000'. Then we rest during the afternoon and into the evening, beginning our ascent around midnight.

We should top out at about 8 a.m., lounge awhile, visit the other side of the crater to bag the "actual" peak of 14,410', and then it's another four or five hours back down. Sue, and I and Nancy will then be driving back to Seattle, where we'll drop Nancy off at a friend's house, and we'll be heading to a posh hotel and dinner, hot tub, and bed, in that order and quickly. We both fly out on Monday.

I'm excited, but nervous. Keep me in your thoughts this holiday weekend.

2 comments:

The Bibler's said...

YAY!!! It's finally here! We truly wish you the absolute best this weekend! We'll all be thinking about you often!! You're so brave...

Somehow, I didn't know you had a blog?!?!?!? But I'm glad I do now! Please keep us posted ASAP on the climb! Love you!!

schwartzfam said...

Jessica, You don't know me but I am Peter's cousin, Theresa (his dad and my mom were siblings) and I just want you to know that I am so proud of you! You set your sights on something that you wanted to do and you took the time to research it, train for it and you have now achieved it! Wow!!! How many people your age can actually claim to have fulfilled such an awesome goal/dream!?! I wish you well as you decide what your next goal might be! Theresa